Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mini Cherry Pies

I am a sucker for Homemade gifts! I love getting them and I LOVE to make them for people. Every year I try to come up with something new to make for my grandparents for Christmas. They typically have everything material that they want, so rather than just buy them something new, I like to go the goodie route.
Let's talk about these cherry pies!

My grandpa is a diabetic who loves cherry pie. He absolutley refuses to eat the sugar free pie, and can only eat the regular stuff a little at a time. In the past, I've made him Cherry Pie Pops from Bakerella's website, so this time around, I wanted to do something a little different.
A friend of mine told me about a website she had stumbled on: NotMartha.com and they had posted these adorable little pies, baked in 4 oz. glass jars! That's right BAKED IN THE JAR! No mess and easy to transport! So I couldn't pass it up!
I looked all over Omaha for the jars, but it was already after the canning season and they were hard to find. I actually found the jars at a Walmart down in Tennessee over Thanksgiving while visiting my parents. Now, for the pie part, I cheated like crazy! I bought a refrigerated pie crust and cut it to size, and I bought canned cherry filling. Next time, I'll try from scratch, but these didn't turn out half bad for cheating ;)


After they cooled, I put the lids on and tied each one with a cute Christmas goodie ribbon, put three of the jars in a basket with some Hot cocoa mix and tied the basket witha Homemade By Me ribbon and off we went! The grandparents LOVED them!


No comments:

Post a Comment